Ads2

Wednesday 23 January 2008

House Wanted

A public holiday for Kuala Lumpur today, courtesy of the Prime Minister. That's a joy of working in Malaysia.

Will be spending most of the day looking for a house. I intend to buy a house soon, especially when the stock market appears to be on a free fall. As a buyer, I can only hope the prices of real estate will follow suit.

On the subject of houses, it pains me very much to see that my grandpa is not able to stay in his house. He has to stay in pretty much a nursing home. Reason - he had a fall early last year and suffered brain hemorrhage. After an operation, he has recovered substantially but needs either a walking frame or a wheel chair to move around. Now, this becomes the tricky part.

  • The washroom is rather small - the wheel chair / walker cannot fit in. We have tried - it just fits and there is no space at all to move around. Hence, he is not able to use his own washroom.
  • There are just way too many steps. Even a small step of about 2 inches between the living hall and the kitchen becomes a hazard for a frail person.
  • Car porches in Malaysian homes, in generally, are very badly designed. Most of the time, after parking under the covered portion of the porch, one is not able to put the wheelchair next to the car - not enough space. I have no idea why car porches / garages must be in front of the house in Malaysia. The cars take up so much space and we really do not need it obstructing our entrances.

Oh well, this little lesson has prompted my parents to seriously think of a house suitable for the elderly. We have not even discussed about double-storey houses! It is very sad to see one not able to life in his/her own home.

Some has suggested staying in a condo. I have little contact with condos. I am curious to know, how many condos are equiped with lifts suitable to paramedics? Can the stretcher fit in?

Oh, by the way, I am looking for a house near USJ and / or Subang Jaya. I really should not turn my blog into a "Classified". Not a good idea.

No comments: