Ads2

Thursday 1 January 2009

Chinese? English? Bahasa Malaysia?

There has been a great debate on language to teach Maths and Science in Malaysia. I am no educationalist, but here's my two cents. Which language is the most efficient for Maths? That's my question.
In English, to count from 0 to 10:
Ze-ro, One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Se-ven, Eight, Nine, Ten
It takes 13 (thirteen) syllables to do the count.

In Chinese, it would be:
ling, yi, er, san, si, wu, liu, qi, ba, jiu, shi
Very efficient with only 11 syllables. About 15% more efficient than English.

Now, in Bahasa Malaysia:
Ko-song, Sa-tu, Du-a, Ti-ga, em-pat, li-ma, e-nam, tu-juh, la-pan, sem-bi-lan, se-pu-luh.
My my. It takes up to 24 syllables just to count. That's almost double the amount in English and more than double if compared to Chinese.

So, you tell me - between English and Bahasa Malaysia - which is more practical? I say, it will be English. Chinese is not practical as not many Malays and Indians or non-Chinese (and some Chinese like myself) who can speak / write in that language. I cannot. In the business world, English is also more widely accepted.

Still wanna debate? Not patriotic? Always remember - being patriotic means making the other bastard die for his country. No point we all die by losing out when it is just counting from one to ten.

No comments: