Ads2

Sunday 4 May 2008

Montfot Boys Home

It has been indeed a very good weekend for me. I am happy. OK, I have realized I've been a bad blogger too.


Today, I was at the Montfort Boys Town (MBT) Open House Carnival. Being a regular donor, there was a flier informing me of the event. The bad blogger comes in when I did not help promote this event on my blog. Good thing the turn out was good.

Although I have made many donations, usually in small amounts, I have never been to the place. So, this morning, I though it would be a lot of fun to visit MBT.

Just before visiting the place, I was rather worried too. I have been to some charitable organizations (like old folks home) and I ended up being very depressed when I left. The sight of partially neglected folks don't gel well with me.


To my big surprise, the place was indeed a very happy carnival. The kids were not neglected. They look happy and very enthusiastic about their work. It was indeed a party place.


What's so heartwarming? The kids. The smile of their faces. That's worth millions, really.


Then, to see Malaysians, regardless of race or religion supporting a good course. There were Malay / Muslim food stalls. This enforces my believe that left alone, the public is
not racist or discriminate. It's really the governments and politicians who would stir things up for their own gains. For their own job security.

MBT has their own classes, such as baking lessons etc. So, today, the kids were proudly selling their products. Yes, that's the result of a lot of hard work and support from the public.

The really moving part is, there's a section of stalls set up by the alumni. It says "MBT Alumni" and something along the lines that they have made it with 'your support'. Very moving indeed to see the good results of the system.



Even the bigger corporations ( I think this is Ayam A1) supporting a good cause. Domino's Pizza was there too. And the Bar Council had a stall to give free legal advice. Not bad at all.


Oh, I spent about RM 100 there. Bought heaps of food. Most of them tasted very good. In any case, it is for charity.


Moments ago, I was chatting with another friend. Poor gal. She is all stressed up, because some of her classmates are married to a 'rich bastard' (in her words) and another has a nice Honda Civic. So, once again, what has become of us? To measure ourselves in terms of Gucci and cars and rich bastards for husbands? What happened to charity? What happened to being compassionate? What happened to helping others?

Material wealth is just a way to fill in our void. Our void of happiness. Sure, I would be happy to get a Gucci, but for how long? Till I see the next 'bastard' with a bigger Gucci tie? Silly isn't it?

And think about it. If I were to drop dead tomorrow, do you think Honda will send me flowers and say "We miss a good customer"? Or is it more likely for others to remember what we have taught others? I sure can remember my teachers. And strangely, people remember the things I tell them too (like Same Shit Different Buckets).

Nett nett, I want to be remembered. Remembered for something which I have contributed. Something that I have taught. Doesn't matter if they do not remember me personally, but at least remember the little knowledge which I have passed on to them. That would be very heart-warming. And it would sure last a lot longer than any Gucci or Prada items.

Left: The clock tower, which is the landmark for MBT.

Now, I am looking for ways to be a volunteer teaching for the kids there. Part time at least. My physics and engineering is a little rusty, but I sure hope to be able to contribute to the society.

No comments: