Ads2

Wednesday 28 April 2010

Bad Habit 3: I just Called to Say I Love You

Maybe some of us are too young to remember the song " I Just Called to Say I Love You." by Stevie Wonder. It is an all time favorite. If one listens to the song carefully, Stevie didn't say fax, SMS, email or write a letter. Instead, it is Call to say I love you.

In this technological soup, people are getting more and more robotic. If there is a problem or there is something to be said, pick up the phone and make the call. You can follow up with an email or fax, but call! Many times, people like to send email to-and-fro. Come on. Take a hint. If two emails doesn't resolve it, pick up the damn phone and make a call.

Better still, go and meet the person. There is only so much calls can do.

I know that there are bean counters and the evil HR who will limit cost of calls, let alone a face to face visit. But you will be amazed at how fast and in the long term, how much it will save to resolve issues fast. I can understand how slowly this bad habit creeps in. So many times, we are asked to put it in formal writing when there is a suggestion or a request. That's fine and good. But we should remember to call or to meet up when things are no longer moving.

Yesterday, I was suppose to have dinner with a certain lenglui. A number of SMS were exchanged as to where we should have dinner. I tried to call her, but she didn't pick up. (Case of a NR). Instead, she continued to SMS. Screw it. SMS takes too much time. Not worth the savings. I ended up at home with a good book to read.

Remember, pick up the phone and make that call. If so necessary, meet up!

No comments: