Ads2

Sunday 24 February 2013

Good boss

What exactly is a good boss? Simple. A good boss is one who helps you develop your career and to help all earn a healthy salary.

Does your boss do the following:

  1. Priority is for you to learn, via training, books, hands-on
  2. Find ways to help you work faster, more efficiently. (Asks you, what can he do to make you work more efficiently?)
  3. Place is in order, SOPs and WIs are in place. Everyone knows what to do instead of running around like headless chickens.
  4. Wants place to be excellent, and uses best practices from industry. (Open tender, doesn't sleep with vendors, follows 
  5. Resolves conflicts
  6. Provides clear direction, as oppose to "I think that is what we should do...". And comes tomorrow "But that is not what I meant...." Celaka. 
  7. Asks for input, but he decides.
  8. Makes decision  Some bloody bosses sit on it forever. I hate those.The worst decision is no decision  for a wrong decision can be corrected.
  9. Have a disaster recovery plan. How often do we hear - oh shit, the internet is down. Why not just put a back-up internet line? Especially when we depend on it to make money.
  10. Have a succession plan.
  11. Internally promote staff. Prepare staff (the willing and able ones) for promotion
  12. Able to deal with shit face-to-face. Identify dead-wood, trouble makers and fire them. Yes, why keep bad apples and make the whole place stink?
  13. Have balls. (I don't mean physically. Must be brave enough to act without fear nor favour).
  14. Honest and with integrity.
  15. Yells occasionally but with reason.

I do #1 and #2 very often. Whenever I am free, I would sit (or lie down....now, let's not go what else I was doing while lying down) and think. How can I make it easier for people to work? Do they need a new laptop? Hire a office boy or some clerk? Give them a better phone? Revise procedures and make it less tedious? Get new software to automate process?

Yes, I am guilty of #15 too. I should yell a lot less, but for some fucked up reason, engineers think their reports can be a work of fiction. I yell alot less nowadays - as I use #12. The yelling was when I had zero authority to choose who is in my team, and invariable I get some assholes added to my team.

Am I a good boss? I don't think so. Too much #15 still, and I don't make enough to pay everyone very well.

No comments: