Ads2

Tuesday 9 December 2008

Let there be light...

Emergency lighting at home is a matter of life and death. Imagine a fire and the power is out. This is even more critical if you stay in a high-rise building. Let's say, still no smoke. But you do not have a torchlight. Mobile phone can provide limited lights. Try this at home. Completely blackout the place (and close the curtains too! This is to simulate a total black-out when there is no moon).

Do it when you are in the bedroom. Let's see how long do you take to find your house keys and have the front door opened. Mind you, it can be dangerous. Stairs are a hazard and you can trip over a large variety of items. Nevertheless, it is a good practice, in case of fire or a disaster.

In general, I have a Maglite Torchlight with me. Usually in my backpack - so, it is with me when I work, when I drive, when I travel. I own a small AA cell type - good enough. Why I like Maglite? It is very hardy? I've sent it flying down one floor before, by accident and it survived. It has a spare light-bulb. It is very bright. It is reliable. The cheap ones are not so reliable. Too bad, Maglite cost a fair bit. And no, they will not float, but I suspect they will have some that will.

Having a torchlight alone won't do well. It needs batteries. Test them and have them replaced often. I found a reliable batter to be Panasonic's Alkaline Battery. Duracell and Energizer leaks very often - from my observation. I have no idea why. They use to be good - almost never to leak, but lately, it's just bad. And they start to leak at least 2 years or 3 years before expiry!

Another item I am planning to invest in - emergency light. Cost about RM 80 each. They will automatically come on when the power fails. Very useful when things go wrong.

No comments: