Ads2

Monday 29 December 2008

Bank Review

Not talking about the financial disaster on which bank is better, but back to basics. A couple of days ago, I needed to buy a bank draft. Personally and for business, I bank with Maybank.

First, I went into Alliance Bank. After taking a queue number, I asked the cashier gal for the form. She gave me one. Complete it. Waited for more than 30 minutes before it was my turn. Guess what? She asked me for my account number. I said, I am not a customer. What the eff? She said that bank drafts are sold only to customers. I was mad. Firstly, I have already waited for 30 minutes. Secondly, the bloody form said I could pay by cash - meaning, I didn't need an account there. Thirdly, it is a paid service - meaning, I have to pay them or I have to buy it. The draft isn't for free. Buggered by Alliance. Long queue and super 'unfriendly' rules. Just imagine - I am not their customer now and they give me the shits. What do you think? I will sign up with them tomorrow? This could well be a case for the F-bomb.

Next stop was UOB. Singaporean bank in Malaysia. Worse still. Only one cashier working. So, the wait would have been long. Asked another office and guess what, the fellow hasn't got a clue if I could buy the bank draft.So, no UOB bank for me either.

Third - Hong Kong Bank. No queue. Super fast service but alas, they only sold it to customers. What the heck. Again, I have no idea why couldn't they be nice to non account holders. Last check, I have more liquid cash to loan out compared to some banks.

Finally, I went back to Maybank. Deciding to test them, I just completed the form to purchase the draft - didn't disclose anything that I have an account with them. I waited only for less than 5 minutes and it was my turn. No questions asked, just the money for the amount of the draft plus a fee. That's what I call being professional. Just simple business - demand and supply. No grandfather's story nor grandmother's requirements.

Nett nett, I guess I will stay with Maybank for some time to come. The rest of the lousy banks ( I like Public Bank too) can go F themselves. Imagine the irony of them, spending tonnes of money with marketing and promotions trying to get people to use their credit cards, and when you walk into a bank for a core transaction, they piss you off. Their marketing managers should really take note. Till then, my message to them is, F off!

No comments: