Ads2

Tuesday 9 December 2008

Position Vacant

By position, I am not referring to a sexual one, albeit that position is vacant too, for the time being. That's for another blog entry.

Trying to hire an assistant and trust me, it is extremely difficult to hire. Firstly, with all the internet and websites for jobs, applicants just apply for any darn job they see, without any consideration. In short, the employers (me in this case) gets a whole load of garbage. I have technicians applying for the position of Sales Managers. What the heck. Unsure if they can sell at all, to begin with. They sure did not sell themselves to me very well - in the sense of selling their resume to me.

Then, there is the whole bunch with names all typed in lower-case alphabets. Sorry, but I would hate to hire someone who cannot even get their own names correct in a resume. Some just have a terrible command of English. Others change jobs in about 10 months. Fresh graduates are asking for RM 3500 per month. Gosh. For fresh graduates, it going rate is only RM 1800, depending on field that is. Some ask for huge sales commissions. I usual ask them for some penalty if they fail to hit the target. Imagine, asking for RM 3500 per month and a huge commission. What the eff.

When I call them, endless bozos (both males and females) would ask "Where is your office?" The first thing on their mind is location. Hell, I remember my interview with Motorola Penang. The HR Director asked me if relocation is a problem. I laughed and told him, if the package is right, I would bloody report for work the next morning! In other words, screw the location. The overall package is important. If it is just location, try the Pizza Hut or McD in your neighbourhood. They have jobs too. Just remember to ask "Do you want fries with that."

It's never easy to hire someone good. Miss the old staff I hired in Nible2. Took me 6 months to get them, and they were great. In case you are wondering, yes, Motorola Penang did make me an offer. Alas, it wasn't good enough.

No comments: