Ads2

Wednesday 14 November 2012

To AES or not to AES

One of the most hotly debated topic now, of course, is the AES. Some of my friends are arguing about it. Terrible.

Anyway, I am all for AES, subject to the following conditions:
  1.  End of hiding-behind-the-bush operations. If AES works, just use AES. Forget hiding behind the bushes. And most importantly, get rid of the road blocks to issue tickets to speedsters. Road blocks due to robberies, other enforcement is fine. But please, stop duplicating the work. This means the rakyat will have to help AES, and still provide support to the "you help me, I help you" notion. 
  2. AES must have smart speed limits. If they say "It's near a school. Must be 30kmph only". Good. Then, enforce the 30kmph only for school days, during school hours. Other than that, please revert speed limit to 90kmph.
  3. Pot-holes causes tonnes of accidents too. Please patch up our roads first. The year now is 2012. We don't seem to be able to patch up holes - so, why screw us with AES?
  4. The other half the time, traffic lights are faulty. Please fix those first. If the lights work well (proper timing, etc), then there will be less jams. Hence less frustrated drivers thus reducing the urge to beat the lights. Please fix those first.
  5. AES should hit serious offenders hardest. But I suspect, it's the light offenders who will be hit badly. Here are some examples:
    • I only speed. I get a ticket from AES.
    • I have horrible tinted glass. I speed. AES cannot see my face. I pull a "Looks like me, sounds like me" defence. AES is not effective. Basically, I get away if I have more than one offence.
    • I reduce the size of my number plates. AES photographs me, but cannot make out the number plate. I get away again with two offences.
    • Number plate partially missing (typical of those snatch thieves). Again, AES is useless.
    • I put a large sign there to say I am a VVIP. I get away. One is not to put any signs on car to say they are VVIP. Let us take a guess - you think that will happen?
    • I have heavy tint, fancy lettering on plates, marked VVIP, false registration details on JPJ database - I think AES will never get me.

      So, how can AES work? AES is obviously targetting to the small time offenders. Those that have a string of offences - oh well.
  6. If our electrorate roll is in a mess, can you imagine the JPJ database? JPJ must have a very easy way to check and update information.
  7. JPJ must verify that information is correct and updated. Nowadays, it takes only a photocopy IC to transfer details of ownership. If I speed daily, I will just transfer my car to someone without his knowledge. Then, good luck. Oh, of course I won't lose my car. I can transfer it back to my name (using more photocopy ICs) when I want to sell it. Smart right? :P
  8. AES must not cause accidents. Imagine - putting a bloody pole on the road junction. If the car looses control, it will hit the pole (and possibly traffic lights, etc). So, there must be sufficient crash barriers or very well position as not to cause more damage to accident victims.
Oh well, that's my current take on AES... but my next post will tell you the TRUE danger of AES.

No comments: