Ads2

Monday 11 August 2008

From Hero to Zero

I own two cars, one Waja and a Wira. I use the Wira frequently and trust me, it is no hero. Some say that we must support the national car. Some say maintenance is cheap. Well, I think it is bloody expensive. Let's look at the string of problems I've faced. I service my car every 5000km, oil change is every 10,000km - I use fully synthetic Shell engine oil.

33,700 km - Throttle body needs servicing. If I change gears while going down hill, the engine stalls. My mechanic tells me there is a carbon build up, or some sort of dirt. No idea if he is bullshitting me.

47,000 km - Air-condition expansion valve is dead. Very costly to change this. Cannot believe that the car starts to fall apart. It is only three years old.

47,900km - Tyres are dead. It has started to de-laminate. Tyres were Sime Tyres. They are really bad. Changed to Goodyear tyres. More money spent. Seriously, I expect the tyres to last till at least 60,000 km. The thread is still good but it is way out of shape. Heavy vibration.

50,000 km - Clutch pump leaks. Have to change the darn thing.

59,000 km - Noticed a severe lost of power. Engine starts consuming engine oil. Changed back to full mineral oil. Carbon deposit noted on spark plugs.

61,000km - No more black oil left. Mineral oil did not slow the rate engine oil was being burnt. What a waste. Only 2000km and all the engine oil is gone. Severe power lost. Had to go for a major overhaul. Piston rings are changed. Cost RM 1800, including changing clutch kit, water pump, timing belt, gear oil and overhaul the gasket. Cannot bloody believe that the piston rings will wear out at just 61,000km. They should last till 100,000km. I don't even rev my engine about 4000rpm. And yet, it drops dead. Car is only 4 years old!

Feels that Proton has a terrible quality issue. Quality is not just having a perfect car at production line. The parts are expected to last. Stupid Proton must be putting in cheap parts and now, I am paying for it. Wish I had bought a Honda City instead.

63,500 km - Celaka! The radiator motor died. Can you believe this? What kind of shit problem is this? My grandfather's 30 year old car, with more than 80,000km on it still has the original radiator fan motor. It's a Daihatsu, by the way. Swears never to buy another Proton. Good thing I noticed the temperature rising. Otherwise, I could have busted the entire engine.

71,000km - Front right headlight bulb busted. What the eff.

75,000km - Less than 5 years old, the bloody exhaust leaks. Had to change it.

Really, I think Proton has serious issues with quality. The car is failing a lot faster than it should. My mum's eight year old Iswara is performing a lot better. No radiator fan issue. No worn piston rings. Looks like Proton moves backwards instead of doing things better. The biggest problem I've noted with Honda City is that the number plate tends to have numbers fall of. When it comes to number plates, Proton does well. But sadly, that's about the only thing it does well.

No comments: