Ads2

Friday 8 August 2008

Mayday mayday

Nope - not about a plane crash but rather a series about air crash investigations. Very interesting show, which I think pops up occasionally on Astro. I've been kindda lazy at work and I've watched a good number episodes of Air Crash Investigators. The only sad thing is, I feel kindda depressed right now.

I've not been entirely lazy - watching YouTube in the office. I've been asked to chair a team of auditors for Nible2. We are to find out what went wrong, somewhere, somehow. So, I figured that watching how they investigated air-craft was interesting.

One particular episode, is about Eastern Airlines Flight 401. Actually, it was my case study back in university and I've completely forgotten about it. It has a strong message for management. Yup - you heard it right - management.

Essentially, the crash happened way back in 1972, off Miami. I won't dwell on the details of that crash, but essentially, the plane was brought down by a USD 12 problem. The indicator (light bulb) failed to indicate that the front landing gear was locked. It cause, a burnt light bulb. The crew was so engrossed in fixing the problem, they forgot to fly the plane. Alas, it crashed.

This is essential in my latest task - Nible2 has been so focus on cost cutting. The bloody entire company is worried about cost cutting. We forgot to fly the plane. We forgot that we are a technological company, not a cost cutting company, per se. We ignored so many things that we are to do. Cost went down, together with quality, number of research and new technology. And Nibble2 is suppose to be the leader in the industry. Everyone forgot to fly the plane. While cost cutting to a certain degree is OK, but really, it is the effing Finance Director's job. Not HR. Not Operations, not Engineering. Everyone must hand in hand, but they better remember to fly the damn plane!

Here's the first part, out of five parts, of Fatal Distraction.

No comments: