Ads2

Monday 18 August 2008

Pan or Fire

I got a duress call from a lenglui. It started off well enough. She was indeed extremely happy and excited that she got a new job offer. That's when I turned it into a duress for her. Evil me. No bloody wonder she isn't dating me.

Let's call her Indy. Indy has been trying to change jobs for the last 12 months. Reasons are unclear but she did sight workload and bad pay. Fair enough. On Friday night, she was so happy to message me to say she was offered a new job and she accepted it. Resigned immediately and her current boss counter-offered, saying that he would pay what the new company is offering.

Indy, being a very pretty (tall, slim with a nice set of racks), told her boss an amount a lot higher than the actual offer. In any case (this is when beauty plans a part), the boss agreed, albeit verbally. She must be a good worker too. In any case, she wants to have the last laugh and told me she won't be accepting the offer. Yup, the grass does look greener on the other side.

I then proceeded to test if the grass was indeed greener. Things started to unravel at an alarming rate. Firstly, this new company didn't even give her a formal offer. It was just a short email. WTF. She accepted that offer and resigned from her current job. She didn't have a clue as the benefits, amount of annual leave or working hours. She sort of assumed it was a five day week.

Indy did ask for a formal letter, but the new boss apparently said they were busy with a new project. What the eff. Sure tells me how much they value their employee. Also, it does sound like this company is somewhat unethical. More like too chinaman like. Bad practices all around.

She was happy that her pay would be 24% more. Yeah right. I broke the news to her that if it is not 35% more, it is not worth it. The reason is simple. For such a scumbag company, they may not honour the EPF (11% from employee and 12% from employer) and the tax, which I assume it to be about 7%. They will happily make the monthly deductions but will forward no money to the IRD nor the EPF. Now, this really got her worried. She told me it was a start up company. A risk of them running bust too.

Indy got so upset that she just went offline. Oh bugger. She could not handle the bad news. So, I texted her the solution. Easy. Just accept the counter offer. Now, start looking for another job. The next new job would even pay better. Hehehe. I am sure this is what Wally would do.

For all the free advice, she owes me a latte. Hmm. I was hoping something more hot and steamy. Que sera sera.

No comments: