Ads2

Sunday 17 February 2008

An Inspiration.

I was in Hawaii way back in 2005 for a holiday. A quick summary - it is not what we think Hawaii is. A very relaxing, laid back place. Food was only just OK, but the best was our own cooking (this says alot). Very slow, quiet and oh well, just laid back.

There is one memory which I treasure the most from this trip. My cousin, Chris, took part in the Ironmnan race. Naturally, we all turned up to support him. The Ironman race has three stages, in the order - swimming for 1.2 miles (1.9 km), bike for 56 miles (90 km) and finally, run for 13.1 miles (21 km) - which makes a total of about 70 miles (113 km). It is gruelling. Very painful.

I cannot remember who the winner was, or how my cousin fared. I could remember Sarah. Sarah Reinertsen (http://www.myspace.com/alwaystri). She was the first female emputee, to complete an Ironman race. We were cheering widely when she was close to the finish time. To my memory, it was very exciting because she finished so close to the cut of time. I think it is was 8 hours - the cut-off time.

She showed real determination. She is a symbol to show us all that everything is possible. It can be done. I am able-bodied but not, just running 13 miles would be horrible for me. In life, there is really no such thing as cannot be done. It is just whether we want to do it or not. Sarah has shown that it is matter of will, not physical conditions.

To all those who says, "It cannot be done", "I cannot do it", all I tell them is, the real reason is, they do not want to. Don't lie, just say, "I do not want to do it". Sometimes, there is nothing wrong in not wanting to do something, but please, lame excuses... urrggh. By the way, I have severe crap intolerance!

3 comments:

Susu Kacang said...

yeah, sometimes i think the able-bodied members of society owe them more for their inspiring lives. good post!

Hamsap Goldfish said...

Thanks for your comments Susu Kacang. True indeed - which is why I get really pis**d off when I see able-bodied people using parking lots for disabled persons.

Jovic Soo said...

I'm with you, running 13 miles will be painful.
I opt for not doing it.
While for parking, I rather walk extra 100m than park on those special lot.