Ads2

Sunday 17 February 2008

Prostitutes

Hmmm. A thought that I have had a long time ago. Before I start, this is just my humble opinion. I hope it is not too controversial.

Last Friday, my Director asked me to be a 'prostitute'. I laughed at his face and told him to forget it. After all, Nible2 cannot afford to give me a promotion or a pay raise, so, I thought, I might as well have a good laugh. No opportunity cost there.

Firstly, my definition of a prostitute. I do not think a prostitute is a sex worker. To me, a prostitute is anyone who does things against his or her beliefs, against personal principles - all for money or some kind of benefits. Someone who has sold themselves out. They can be professionals, engineers, managers, accountants and some sex workers - doing things just for the money. Not all sex workers are 'prostitutes'.

Actually, I kind of admire some sex workers. They work hard. They have to keep a nice body. Put on nice make up. Be clean. Go for medical checks. Face customers. Oh well, it is not easy but in many ways, a honest living. They don't steal. I just believe in economics - a matter of supply and demand. If there is demand, there is supply. As long as it is not against their own principles to be a sex worker, then, they're good.

And yet, I have seen so many other prostitutes in my profession. Just because they are salaried workers, they will always say, "yes boss", even when they know it is wrong. Even when the know the design is doomed (bosses cut corner to save cost for the short term), they will still carry it out. Unqualified goods being sent to the customers, they will approve of it. But they are actually against it. They just will not stand up to their bosses.

Which brings me back to my story. Many weeks ago, I was asked about my opinion on whether to participate in a conference in a country near Australia. My professional opinion was no. I would have loved a holiday there and just say, yes boss - we should be there, or rather, I should be there. But being bosses (PHB), they over-ruled me and said we should go. So, we started the paperwork (which I more or less signed under protest).

On Friday, he asked me to justify a case for attending the conference. Hence, my laughter. I did tell him politely that I still stand by my opinion. The situation and facts have not changed. How on earth could I justify for something which I am against? WTF. Anyway, I had the last laugh. They killed that thought soon after!

I won't be a prostitute. At least not the amount of money they are paying me! Hahaha.

No comments: