Ads2

Sunday 27 April 2008

New Delhi

As mentioned, I was in New Delhi a couple of weeks back. India, as usual, never had a dull moment for me. I've been to Mumbai many times, but this is my first visit to New Delhi. Naturally, I expected it to be somehow, like Mumbai.

Boy, I was wrong. New Delhi hardly had any traffic jams. The only time with traffic congestion is when the roads were closed for VVIPs to pass. Fair enough. Generally, it was a lot less congested. More space, less people. However, in terms of food, I would prefer food in Bombay. Food in Delhi has is rather 'spicy', too much chili for me. Hotel rooms were less expensive and the room was better than the Mumbai rooms which I had.
Anyway, no point of me writing too much. Here's many photographs, which will speak for itself.

New Delhi Airport undergoing renovations. Not a sight to welcome visitors, but hey, that's India.

Indians are known to be very thrifty, but someone forgot to tell send them a memo. Do not de-face their own currency. They love to use any small white space on their own currency to do calculations.
A boy by the pavement, pouring coffee into small cups. The coffee will then be served to office workers, presumably they have ordered for it. Guess this must be a regular service.

Fruits for sale! Being darn brave, I've actually eaten a fair deal of fruits in India. And lots of Indian food. Whatever it is, I have never had food poisoning in India. Amazing India.

When I was arrived in India for the first time, I could not help but to feel I just got off a time machine. The first time I landed in Bombay, I did think that the British just left the day before. Design of things were from another era. For example, picture above shows the car of some ministers or VVIP. It is a very old design, but it is a fairly new car. They just keep to the old design, with the old look. I love this very much. It makes the place unique, not filled with modern looking cars. This gives the place character.

Sadly, due to the security threat, sandbags and bunkers are a common sight. This was pictured at the entrance of a night market. Why can't people just live in peace? What can one get out of bombing another place? Crazy isn't it?


Part of Humayun's grave. Humayun's grave is actually the tomb prior to Taj Mahal. I've not seen the Taj Mahal, but Humayun's tomb is really impressive. By chance, the photographs did turn up very nice. The sky was just so blue, so clear, not a cloud it sight. It was bloody hot! Oh well, can't have the best of everything. To enter the tomb, the cost for local is Rp 10. For a foreigner like me, it was Rp 200. What more can I say?




Some travellers at Delhi airport.

On the way back to Kuala Lumpur, I had an old plane, courtesy of MAS. It was really old! Good thing I got home safely.

Ashtrays were still available!

General view of the cabin. No personal entertainment system.

Old seat belt buckles. Reminds me when I was a kid, going back to Ipoh on the Fokker planes.

Beats the heck out of me, but the safety signs are in German.

No comments: